How exciting to see Dr. Robyn Silverman’s appearance on The Today Show yesterday promoting Good Girls Don’t Get Fat. Sales of the book spiked after Dr. Robyn’s appearance, as you can imagine. Although not everyone will get the chance to promote their stuff on the network morning shows or land on Oprah’s couch, here are five things you can do to create buzz for your book, company, product or platform — another oldie but goodie from my days over at WHY magazine. And who knows? You may just find yourself seated next to Meredith Vieira.
- Lead the social media charge. Go at ’em with your guns blazing: Use posts, tweets, videos, links — everything in your arsenal — to get your information out there. Remember, friends let friends drive traffic to their website.
- Be a traditional media maven too. Stay in regular contact with those publications/websites that cover your industry or community. While social media is the hot place to chat up journalists, a solid press release — emailed or snail-mailed — still goes a long way.
- Milk industry events. Conferences, meetings, seminars — go to as many as you can and talk to as many people as you can.
- Develop key opinion leader relationships. Opinion leaders are considered credible sources of information, and they can be found in virtually ever field. Know who yours are, and keep them well informed, making sure they know who you are as well.
- Think out of the box. Host contests for your blog readers. Have giveaways. Get that Jason dude of I Wear Your Shirt to wear your logo for a day. You never know what can get the viral marketing ball rolling.